Saturday, September 27, 2008

"She won coz she's smart." So what?!

We were watching The Sweet Life last night. Lucy and Wilma have former beauty queens as guests.

They are indeed beautiful but fortunately, they are not full of themselves. After their respective pageants, they found their greater purpose in life – helping others. I just wonder if they ever get tired of feeling the need to always look beautiful and presentable and almost perfect – even while doing things that require less attention to their looks.

I have never really paid close attention to my looks except on special occasions. I think one of the reasons why I really decided to leave my band was that I grew tired taking care of myself, my looks and my clothes all of the time. I like feeling pretty (take note: FEELING) when I want to, not because people expect me to look good.

I have my own share of pageant moments. And they are wonderful experiences that did not only helped me to be lady-like (Ows?!), but also made me see things in a deeper perspective. During the pageants, I was surrounded by girls who were really more beautiful than I am. Their presence made me feel wrong about joining the pageants, but I realized that we were all blessed in different ways. I thought that I just have to make use of what I have and make the people see the best in me. (OMG, I’m so like eew. =P)

I ended up winning the two titles (for real!) but I heard people say that I actually won because I’m smart. My friends would take it as a hard blow to my ego, but I took it as a compliment – a mighty good one.

Not a lot of people are blessed to have common sense, knowledge, sense of humor and personality. And I think being smart is a balance of these things. I know, that not a lot of people were born beautiful and gorgeous, but I think we now have cosmetic surgery as the answer to our hunger for perfection and beauty.

“Kung gusto kong gumanda, gagamitin ko ang talino ko para magkaroon ako ng perang pangpaganda ko.” A friend would say with pride.

Somewhat familiar when a question was asked in a beauty pageant.
Q: “Which do you prefer – to be smart, to be rich or to be beautiful? And why?”

A: “I want to be smart because if I’m smart, then I can be rich. And if I’m rich then I can be beautiful. Thank you.”

Bravoooo!!!

So if those people thought that my "being smart" was reason enough for me to win the pageants, then I THANK YOU.

No comments: