Sunday, January 28, 2007

Love, Deuce and Advantage

I watched the final game of the Australian Open Women's Division. It's the battle between Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova. I like Serena because she's a great tennis player. I have never seen her underestimate an opponent. She always plays with so much intensity, focus and determinatio. sometimes who will be the winner is out of the question. I like Maria Sharapova because she's beautiful and lady-like but very cunning in her strategies as well. At 19, she has a very promising career ahead of her.

That's why I was torn between the two greats yesterday when I watched them battle it out for the title. Sharapova is seeded as number 1 in the world, while Serena is unseeded as she has been inactive for more than a year (after the death of her sister in a shooting incident) and is ranked number 87.

It turned out that Maria was not in the game, not in her usual competitive mode. I saw her talking to herself, as if she's fighting some demons around her who sort of possessed her and not giving her a chance to play her game. The battle ended within an hour and 3 minute with a score: 2-6, 2-6. The commentators even mentioned that this was the easiest game Serena had in the whole open.

This is Serena's 3rd grand slam championship, now she is now among the greats like Navratilova, Stefi Graf and Martina Hingis (my ultimate crush in the Tennis World).

I believe Maria was almost on the verge of tears. I believe she knows that Serena took advantage of the unforced errors, double faults and faulty forehand and backhand shots she committed. But she was a great sport when she was asked by the emcee to give a few words. She even joked about her loss. I LOVE HER!!!

Serena was such a great champion, recognising the great potential of Sharapova. She entered the competition as an unseeded, ranked number 87 and left Australia at number 14.. WOW!! Love Tennis...

No comments: